Wednesday 13 May 2015

Positive body image - learn to love yourself

Referred to as a subjective perception – based on taste or opinion as opposed to fact – of one’s self, the term body image refers to a person’s emotional attitude, beliefs and perception towards their own body – be it positive or negative.
As a former anorexic, bulimic and ‘big girl’, a distorted body image and an abnormal perception of my physical body shape, weight and appearance has understandably resulted in the development of a negative body image, but is it really impossible to oust the overwhelming thoughts of self hate in order to portray positivity?
Despite currently maintaining a healthy weight, muscular physique and nutritious diet, I, like many, am guilty of performing the unhealthy body comparisons that are renowned for intensifying thoughts of self doubt. The only difference is, I no longer criticize my body and appearance in the negative manner that once crippled my confidence.
Although I’ll be the first to admit I’m far from happy with every inch of my physique, every scar, wobbly bit, muscle, flaw and imperfection now resemble my story of strength, success, self acceptance and the realisation that I am only human. Yes I have ‘fat’ days, days where I get called ‘too muscular’ and days where I’m convinced those wobbly bits resemble jelly, but the fact that I’m also a fit, healthy and happy young woman who has the choice to change, exercise, eat healthily and enjoy life makes me realise that not only is there so much more to life than what I look like and how others perceive me, but there is more to life than religiously beating myself up and putting myself down.
The journey to self acceptance may not have been an easy one, but my decision to treat my body with the love, care and respect it deserves has transformed my perception of my own physical appearance in a way that I once could only strive for. Do I think that it is impossible to banish a negative body image? No. Because once you conquer your demons on a psychological level, the rest will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment